I was looking for a KIND bar type of snack but everything I found either had ingredients I can’t eat and / or tasted like cardboard. So. I made my own. (:
This is a highly customizable recipe – simply substitute your favorite trail mixy type ingredients! My one suggestion is to try and avoid adding too many dried fruits as dried fruit is notoriously loaded with sugar.
Speaking of sugar, although these tasted delicious, in the interest of limiting sugar as much as possible, I think next time I will simply make a trail mix, without the brown rice sugar or honey. (:
Since I already made it and they’re quite tasty, I might as well share the recipe. Enjoy!
• 1 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup pecans
• 1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
• 1 cup oatmeal, plain
• 1/2 cup figs, chopped
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (75% or higher)
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
3. Pour the honey & brown rice syrup into dry ingredient bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
4. Grease a 9″ x 13″ glass pan with coconut oil, then transfer the mixture and spread evenly across pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove and let sit for 20 additional minutes.
7. Cut evenly into 16 jars. Either wrap individually in parchment paper or leave in an air-tight tupperware container.