Aside from ice cream, I’ve never been a huge fan of sweeter foods, especially for breakfast. Most mornings, my breakfast consists of some type of egg (scrambled or over medium), a meat (sausage or bacon), and veggies (sautéed onions, peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc. or a fresh veggie like avocado).
With that said…sometimes sweeter things just really hit the spot. I can’t do food like french toast – too sweet – but a happy medium like carrot, banana and/or zucchini bread…mmmmm.
I’m still not sure how I feel about gluten, so while I still eat it, I try to limit my intake. I am sure how I feel about sugar though – avoid avoid avoid! I’ve sampled with various non-sugar recipes before and I can’t say many have passed the taste test. I really admire those people who can tolerate a sacrifice in taste in the name of health but for me…I’d rather just not eat it!
This weekend, I made another attempt at a breakfast bread. This is, by far, my favorite bread recipe. While it does not include sugar, it does include (organic/local) maple syrup and honey. And while these are better options than sugar, I still don’t think it’s great to eat a lot of either; however, I am 100x more ok with these ingredients than sugar.
Also – for the sake of making the recipe more readable, I refrained from writing “organic” by each ingredient, but make sure to use organic/local options as much as possible!
Also, make sure to read the ingredient list. For example, chocolate chips are frequently made in large part with sugar – like these. The first ingredient is sugar! This option, on the other hand, is made purely of organic raw cacao.
I find the bread tastes best when refrigerated… Give it a try and let me know what you think!
• 2 c shredded zucchini (~ 2 medium-sized zucchinis)
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 c melted butter (Kerrygold!!)
• 1/2 c honey
• 1/2 c maple syrup
• 2 eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 c shredded carrot (~ 1 medium-sized carrot)
• 1 c shredded apple (~1 medium-sized apple – I prefer Fuji or Honeycrisp)
• 1 c oat flour
• 2 c flour
• 2 tsp baking soda
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 3 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tbsp gelatin
• 1/2 c dark chocolate chips
• 1/2 c chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Spray two 8” x 4” loaf pans with coconut oil spray.
3. Combine grated zucchini with salt in colander. Press out as much liquid as possible while in the colander.
4. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, honey and maple syrup. Then, mix in the eggs, vanilla, shredded carrot, shredded apple and shredded zucchini. Mix well and set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and gelatin.
6. Begin stirring the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined. Then, fold in the chopped walnuts & chocolate chips.
7. Pour batter evenly between the two loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes. Bread will be done with a knife is inserted and comes out clean.